It is a special printer that performs printing operations on labeled labels. Using special sensors, this type of printer can detect the dimensions of the label and the distance of each label from the other, unlike laser printers that print one sheet of paper discontinuously and separately. These printers mainly print continuous labels that are rolled.
In some models, label printers can print independently without the need for a computer and through a memory card or flash memory. Label printers are different from ordinary printers because they require special paper feeding mechanisms to roll barcode labels. or use cut sheets.
Common methods for connecting label printers include RS-232 serial, USB, LPT1 parallel, Ethernet network, and various types of Wi-Fi wireless methods. Label printers have a wide range of applications, including printing price tags, coding items, printing postal specifications labels, printing product ID cards, printing tracking labels, and hundreds of other applications. A wide range of barcode labels, such as paper, PVC, metal, etc., are used in the label printer.
Printing mechanisms of printers
The printing mechanisms of label printers are in two types, direct thermal mechanisms and heat transfer to the ribbon, but the heat transfer printing mechanisms to the ribbon are usually more common.
- Direct Thermal Printer: Uses heat-sensitive papers (such as fax Thermal paper). Direct heat labels fade over time (usually 6-12 months); If they are exposed to heat, direct sunlight or chemical vapors, their life will be shortened. Therefore, direct thermal labels are mainly used for short-term applications, such as shipping labels.
- Thermal Transfer Printer: To make a permanent print, it uses a ribbon to transfer the ink to the label through heat. Some thermal transfer printers are also capable of direct thermal printing.
In label printers, sensors such as gap sensor and black mark are used to detect the dimensions of the label and the distance between the labels. These sensors help the label printer automatically detect the dimensions and distances and adjust the label roll for printing. slow down
You can also print labels with laser printers, but don’t forget that printing labels using label printers will be much more affordable and of better quality.
Types of label printers:
- Desktop label printers: it is the most common type of label printers that are designed for low to medium print runs, the print width of these label printers is 11 cm, and based on the model of their ribbon tanks, they accommodate 70 to 300 meter ribbons. If your printing amount is below 1000 labels per day, this type of label printer is a very good option.
- They are used for printing large circulations of labels per day and mainly in industries and chain stores, usually the body of these machines is metal and they have large paper roll tanks, with the possibility of using large ribbon rolls (up to 450 meters), the heads of this machine It is much stronger than the desktop models, and with the addition of accessories such as automatic label cutter, peeler, and the possibility of connecting to the network, it provides its users with many possibilities.
- Industrial label printers:
- RFID label printers are special label printers that print and encode RFID labels at the same time. RFID tags require printed information to be compatible with barcode systems.
- Mobile label printers are basically a compact and portable printer that works using an internal rechargeable battery and can print on thermal labels from 5 cm wide to finally 11 cm wide depending on the model and through Bluetooth or Wi-Fi communication platforms connect to a controller, whether it is a handheld, computer or tablet, these devices are used to issue mobile labels, price, code labels, property labels, quality control labels, etc. in factories, stores Chains and.. are used